The next wonder drug may not be that far off or that far away, in fact it might be here already. But it’s not a drug, a vitamin, an herb or even some new weird Amazonian berry: it’s sex. People have been making outlandish claims about the health effects of sex, both good and bad. I have memories of being told that if I masturbated too much I would grow hair on the back of my hands as thick as the hair on my head. I had a buddy in high school that used to tell his girlfriends that his cum would clean their teeth better than toothpaste.
Because of all of the non-sense that is out there, I am (like many people) hesitant to believe what everything I hear about the health benefits of sex. But some things in life are hard to argue against, and I’ve found that one of those things is modern science. I recently read an article on the subject, and it made me want some sexual healing.
The Top 10 Health Benefits of Sex:
1. Sex relieves stress, and lowers blood pressure. They did a study in the UK, and people who were more sexually active had a lower blood pressure response to stress.
2. Sex bolsters immunity. We’ve all heard of vitamin C; what about vitamin sex. Maybe we should be taking some vitamin sex with our multi-vitamin every morning. The thing actually studied was immunoglobulin A or IgA, which is an antibody. Antibodies equal Awesome.
3. Sex burns calories; webmd.com’s article said that a thirty minute session burns 85 calories or more. They did not describe the nature of the sex that burns 85 calories, so I’m assuming the statement meant that nice, passionate, but slow love-making would burn 85 calories. Therefore for no scientific reason – but it makes sense in my head – follow me- stair-master, driving faster, math blaster; harder, better, faster, stronger sex; equals more calories.
4. Sex improves cardiovascular health. The UK report was a study on guys, but yeah I would bet a hot dollar that it improves the cardiovascular health of women as well. Having sex more than twice a week cuts the chance of having a fatal heart attack in half! Well huzzah for that.
5. Sex brings-up self-esteem, this is a reason I have sex: I feel better about myself afterwards. I often have for the sport of it; see how hard I can rock her world. It takes a lot more time and effort, but wow is it worth it. My wife loves it, is very appreciative and I feel like I just “got some” on the top of Mt. Everest: accomplished.
6. Sex improves intimacy, by releasing the hormone oxytocin. Sex, through this hormone will encourage an urge to bond and nurture. I call this phenomenal want to cuddle thing (because of the afterglow) “snuggle rage.” Yep. I just made that term up. Feel free to use it in bed.
7. Sex reduces pain. Another neat side-effect of the release of oxytocin, as well as endorphins, is pain relief. Thus your headache or cramps get better after sex. (No more headache excuse, because YOU have the cure.)
8. Sex lowers your chances of getting prostate cancer. The study showed that frequent ejaculations, more than 21 times a month, lowers the risk of prostate cancer.You can also stimulate the prostate using anal toys made specifically for men from websites such as http://www.sextoypalace.com/
9. Sex strengthens the muscles you need to not pee yourself, also known as the pelvic floor muscles. Kegel exercises work these muscles, a simple one is flex like you are trying to stop the flow of your urine. Do this a few times a day, and you will see a dramatic increase in the intensity of your orgasms. This works for both men and women!
10. Sex helps you sleep. The oxytocin released during orgasm (in addition to the other cool stuff), helps us sleep.
So in conclusion: three healthy cheers for sex! Huzzah, Huzzah and… (Oh yeah baby, that’s how I like it.) –Huzzah!